Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spell it out-- geoblock expectations


Some activities you THINK kids can do and others need explicit expectations. This group, in particular, due to maturity, needs a lot of direct instruction on expectations. When getting out geoblocks, this activity was an absolute MUST.

I put the title (Geoblock Sorting) and two headings on the top of the list (OK and NOT OK). I asked the students to talk in their groups for a couple minutes about what might go under each heading. Here's what they came up with.

Even though, behaviorally, this is a much more challenging group than most, I will continue to use this warm-up with my groups in the future. It was really empowering for students to have made the expectations. It was great for me to be able to refer to the board throughout this lesson and the next couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment